The Strawberry Blonds Cottage

The Strawberry Blonds Cottage

Monday, August 1, 2011

Tomato Pie and Pretty Tables!


Hello Everyone, I hope you are enjoying this first day of August. I changed my table up recently. I just love canning jars, especially these in this blue color! The candles are flameless and are on timers. A great thing when you have 2 little boys running around.  I am using the larger jar for flowers. But it had been used for everything from storing coffee beans to pencils.  I cut these lovely flowers at my in laws farm yesterday. Beautiful and free, you can't beat that. 








On this weeks Menu is Tomato Pie! Yummy! (not to be confused with Pizza). It's like having a Tomato, cheese and mayo sandwich, but a lot better.  Now if you want, you can add 1/2 cup of crisp chopped bacon. 
Ingredients:
 Pastry for a 1-crust 9-inch pie, unbaked, evaporated milk, 4 cups sliced firm ripe tomatoes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 3 green onions chopped,1 large clove garlic, smashed and minced


Preparation:
Line pie plate with pastry; flute edges and brush shell with evaporated milk. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Fill the baked pie shell with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil. Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, green onions and minced garlic; spread over the layer of tomatoes. Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tomatoes are cooked and pie is done.



When I was web searching recently I came upon this recipe and article, let me just say, this looks like a total winner. I can't wait to give it a try. http://hamptonroads.com/2011/07/easy-tomato-pie


No comments:

Post a Comment